OCCUPANCY POLICY / política de ocupación


The Caldwell Housing Authority adheres to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VIII of the Fair Housing Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and the Americans with Disability Act.  In accordance with federal law, the Caldwell Housing Authority is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex and familial status.  The Caldwell Housing Authority further embraces the diversity of our community and does not discriminate based on sexual orientation or gender identity.  If you feel the housing authority has discriminated against you, please feel free to contact Idaho Legal Aid or the Idaho Human Right Commission.


A. Prospective Applicants. The Caldwell Housing Authority offers a free online application for the start of the applicant’s process. There is a $20 dollar background processing fee for each adult, which is only paid when the applicant/applicants are approved and selected for a unit.

  1. Online Application: As we move towards an easy and streamlined application process to get prospective tenants into an apartment as soon as possible, all applications are to be done online. We understand not everyone has access to a smart device and or a computer so we encourage those who do not to contact the Application Specialist at 208-459-2232 ext. 19 and set an appointment so we can help you apply in person.
  2. Walk-in Application: If you do not have access to a smart device or a computer we are more than happy to assist in the office and make the application process as easy as possible. The first thing you will need is to call the Application Specialist at 208-459-2232 ext. 19, gather IDs for all adults on the application, Social Security cards for everyone on the application and lastly 3 months of the most current reportable income.
  3. Completion of Online Application: After completing and uploading all acceptable documents, our application specialist will email an application verification to the applicant/applicants and leave a voice mail to confirm we have received all the information we need or if you are missing documents. If you are helped in the office with the online application the application verification will be printed out at the finish of the application.
  4. Preferences and Waitlist: Once all steps are completed and your application 100% finished, you will be placed on a waitlist. Waitlist time varies on bedroom size and preferences. We give preferences towards those who work in Agriculture, City of Caldwell (workforce), Veterans and to Sicha vouch holders. Once you are on the waitlist your job is not over, applicant/applicants will need to call every month to keep your online application current and all information up to date.
  5. Becoming a Resident: After you have been on the waitlist and selected for a unit there will be a $20 dollar background check fee for all adults on the application. If you do feel you will be disqualified due to an item on your record, please refer to Section V of the occupation policy. If you are accepted and approved, you will have 48 to respond to the acceptance of the unit.

B. Incomplete Applications

  1. Contact: If by chance the application is not completed, you will be notified by email and phone call. In the event that we cannot make contact with the applicant/applicants or have a response from the applicant/applicants within 72 hours the application will no longer be valid, and a new application will need to be filled out again. We recommend you maintain contact with Caldwell Housing Authority throughout your application process.
  2. Exclusion from Waitlist: If you fail to meet our requirements and not contacting Caldwell Housing Authority to check on your application, you will be taking off the waitlist and will need to reapply if you want to be put back on the waitlist. It’s in your best interest to maintain contact with Caldwell Housing Authority.

C.  Applicant Notification.

  1. Simplified timelines for prospective tenant response / follow-through.Prospective tenants are encouraged to be timely in their response to housing authority staff during the application process.  It is our desire to help prospective tenants through the process and get them into housing as soon as possible.  The Caldwell Housing authority, with cooperation from the applicant(s), adhere to the following timelines:
    • Process the Pre-Application and $15.00 fee within three (3) working days of receiving the Pre-Application.
    • Process the Full Application and $15.00 fee with three (3) working days of receiving the Full Application and required income verification.
    • Applicants on the waiting list who are notified of an available unit have five (5) business days, to pay the security deposit and first month’s rent, unless otherwise approved by the housing authority.

    Applicant on the waiting list who do not meet the requirements above may be removed or passed-over on the waiting list.


  1. General Information. Farmway Village is owned and operated by the Caldwell Housing Authority and all eligibility and selection criteria are set by the housing authority upon approval from its Board of Directors.
  2. Eligible Applicants. As mentioned elsewhere on this website, the housing authority provides Workforce Housing, Low-Income Housing, and Farm Labor Housing.  Please read the Eligibility section for additional information.
  1. Satisfactory Rental History. The Caldwell Housing Authority is required to provide decent, safe and sanitary housing.  Housing authority staff works hard to that end.  We believe the best way to meet these standards it to screen applicants and check past rental references.
  1. Financial Resources. Although rent is adjusted according to income and unit availability, applicants must have a monthly minimum income of $770.00, or $9,200 annually for the smallest apartment.  Minimum monthly income requirements vary depending on apartment size.  Applicants without an income or who cannot certify that they receive the minimum monthly income will have their application administratively withdrawn.
  2. Prior Rental History with CHA. Often individuals and families re-apply to live at Farmway Village after moving out.  Applicants who were previous tenants of the housing authority will be required to complete a full application.  The housing authority may use its knowledge of previous tenancy to either approve or deny an application.  Applicant who lived at Farmway Village previously and owe for rent, repair costs, or legal fees must pay those previous charges before staff will consider or review the application.


  1. Waiting List Priority. Apartments at Farmway Village are assigned to individuals and households based on availability and the applicant’s position on the waiting list.  Only applicants with completed and approved application will be placed on the waiting list.
  2. Assignment of Housing. In accordance with Section IIC(3) above, an applicant who does not accept the apartment by paying first month’s rent and security deposit and sign the lease agreement within five (5) days of offer forfeits their apartment to the next person on the waiting list and will have their application administratively withdrawn from the process.


  1. Criminal Convictions. As stated previously, the housing authority is required to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing.  Criminal backgrounds are conducted on all applicants during the pre-application process.  Applicants or co-applicants with criminal backgrounds are disqualified from housing as follows:
  • Court Ordered Evictions—within three (3) years from the date of application. Court ordered evictions include “for cause” and “unlawful detainer” evictions.
  • Controlled Substance Conviction—within three (3) years from the date of application. Controlled substance charges include the use, sale, possession, concealment, distribution, or manufacturing of a controlled substance as defined by Idaho law.
  • Misdemeanors Conviction for “Persons Crime”—within three (3) years from the date of application. “Persons crimes” include, but not limited to, domestic violence or battery.
  • Misdemeanors Conviction for “Property Crime”—within two (2) years from the date of application. “Property crimes” include, but not limited to, theft or burglary.
  • Felony “Non-Violent” Conviction—within seven (7) years from the date of application.
  • Violent “Persons Crime”—within ten (10) years from the date of application. This includes any felony conviction for harming or battering another person.
  • Sex Offenders—lifetime disqualification.
  1. Administrative Disqualification. In addition to the aforementioned disqualifications or criminal reasons, the housing authority disqualifies applicants and co-applicants that:
  • Provide misleading or falsified identification,
  • Provide misleading or incomplete household income documentation,
  • Provide misleading information about co-applicants and unit occupants,
  • Have poor rental histories including, but not limited to, property damage or conflicts with neighbors.
  1. Denial Appeals. Applicants who are denied occupancy will be delivered a written denial letter either personally or by registered mail (providing the applicant has a current address) that will provide the reason for denial.    Denied applicant may grieve the denial by making a written appeal within 10 days of denial and provide convincing evidence why the denial should be overturned.  Attached to the written appeal, the applicant should include all of the following (when applicable):
  • Letters of judgment satisfaction,
  • Letters of compliance from probation and parole,
  • A current credit report showing CHA’s records are inadequate,
  • Documentation of enrollment or participation in substance abuse treatment. Applicant may be entitled waiver under Fair Housing requirement,
  • Letters from previous landlord indicating past due rent and repair costs have been satisfied; and
  • Other written and relevant documentation.


  1. Income Recertification (if necessary). It is likely that several weeks will have gone by between the date the application was completed and the date an apartment is available.  Recertification of income is required when more than ninety (90) days has lapsed since application submittal.
  2. Net Tenant Contribution (NTC) Calculation. Prior to executing the lease agreement, the “net tenant contribution” or rent calculation will be completed and all applicants will know prior to entering into the lease agreement their monthly rent at initial income certification.
  3. First Month’s Rent Proration. All applicants are required to pay the first month’s rent and security deposit as explained below.  The first month’s rent is prorated depending on the time of the month of occupancy.  Proration is calculated by dividing the “Note Rate Rent (the rent amount approved by Rural Development)” by the number of days in the month, them multiplying that amount by the remaining day in the month.  For example: $600 a month rent ÷ 30 (the number of days in June) = $20/day prorated rent.  An applicant moving in on June 22nd would be in the apartment for 9 days.  Nine (9) x $20/day proration = $180 initial first month’s rent.  Additional rental assistance (if any) may be calculated into the prorated first month’s rent.
  4. Security Deposits. Applicants are required to pay a one-time security deposit equal to the “Note Rate Rent” and the first (1st) month’s rent prior to occupancy.
  5. Security Deposit Payment Arrangements. Upon request, applicants may request payment arrangements for security deposits.  Applicant requesting a security deposit payment plan must sign a lease addendum and have paid the full security deposit with ninety (90) days of occupying the unit.
  6. Housing Assignment. The Caldwell Housing Authority will use the following guideline to place families in appropriate sized units.  This policy is intended to comply with Fair Housing laws, allowing the property owner to determine occupancy standards reasonable to family composition.  Infants and unborn children may be excluded from the family composition at the applicant’s request.  Housing will be assigned as follows:


It is the policy of the Caldwell Housing Authority to provide reasonable accommodations, as prescribed by law, to persons requiring reasonable accommodations in order to fully enjoy their tenancy at Farmway Village.  It will be the policy and practice of the housing authority to assist both tenants and applicants complete the necessary requirements to request reasonable accommodations under the law.  Notwithstanding the numerous pages of guidance offered by the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the staff of the Caldwell Housing Authority will:

  • Assist tenants and applicants complete a request for reasonable accommodation when necessary and requested
  • Accept the tenant or applicant’s verifiable third-party (3rd-party) documentation providing it meets the minimum requirements under the law
  • Not require third- party (3rd-party) verification in cases where the disability is apparent
  • Not require tenants or applicant to execute a HIPPA release
  • Not contact the third-party (3rd-party) health care provider to enquire about the nature of the disability


The Caldwell Housing Authority (CHA) recognizes the importance of service, assistive, and companion animals to persons with disabilities.  This policy is intended to ensure tenants or applicants with a disability-related need for a service, assistive, or companion animal, are afforded the opportunity to make a request for such as provided by the law.  CHA is committed to allowing tenants or applicants with disabilities the opportunity to live in housing with the aid of service, assistive, or companion animals according to the following policy.  Additionally, CHA is required by law to maintain the housing project in a decent, safe, and sanitary manner.  In an effort to balance the need for decent, safe and sanitary housing with rights of tenants and applicants to have medically-necessary animals, the following policy will take effect February 1, 2017 and amends the previous policy of April 1, 2010. 


Tenants or applicants needing a medically-necessary service, assistive, or companion animal (hereinafter referred to as the ‘animal’) must:

  • Make a written Reasonable Accommodation Request in accordance with the previous section
  • Return all necessary certifications to CHA within 30 days of making a written Reasonable Accommodation request and prior to allowing the animal in the apartment
  • Bring the animal to the office to be photographed so CHA can identify the animal and contact the owner in the event your animal is at large
  • Have collar and current identification tags on the animal
  • Have all licenses and vaccinations according to applicable state, county, and local laws
  • Employ methods to have animal attended and under direct control by keeping the animal on a leash at all times when outside the apartment
  • Employ methods (including, but not limited to, restraints, muzzles, choker chains, etc.) that prevent the animal from physically harming other tenants, guests, or employees of the housing authority
  • Pick up all animal feces immediately as it occurs anywhere on housing authority property and properly dispose of it in a sanitary manner. It is not sanitary or acceptable to leave cans/bags/or other receptacles of animal feces on patios or other areas outside the apartment
  • Prevent the animal from interfering with other tenant’s rights to peacefully enjoy their premises; specifically free from barking nuisances and stray dogs
  • Feed and watered animal indoors. Leaving food and water bowls outside encourages and attracts stray animals and varmints, neither of which are conducive to a sanitary and safe environment
  • Not let the animal run free off-leash or leave the animal unattended in vehicles parked in the CHA parking lots
  • Assist CHA (when possible) with minimizing health and safety risks associated with stray animals by calling animal control when noticing unleashed or stray animals on CHA property
  • Prevent the animal damaging the apartment, property and premises of the Housing Authority including other tenant’s property.

Policy Clarification

At NO time during the Reasonable Accommodation Request does the housing authority, its employees, officers, or agents:

  • Ask or inquire about the nature of tenant or applicant’s disability
  • Contact the tenant or applicant’s medical provider
  • Accept or keep any records voluntarily provided by a tenant or applicant about their disability
  • Contact 3rd parties for information about tenant or applicant disabilities


La Autoridad de Vivienda de Caldwell se adhiere al Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, el Título VIII de la Ley de Vivienda Justa, la Sección 504 de la Ley de Rehabilitación de 1973, la Ley de Discriminación por Edad de 1975 y la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades. De conformidad con la ley federal, la Autoridad de Vivienda de Caldwell tiene prohibido discriminar por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, edad, discapacidad, religión, sexo y estado familiar. La Autoridad de Vivienda de Caldwell abraza aún más la diversidad de nuestra comunidad y no discrimina por orientación sexual o identidad de género. Si cree que la autoridad de vivienda lo ha discriminado, no dude en comunicarse con Idaho Legal Aid o la Comisión de Derechos Humanos de Idaho.


A: Posibles Solicitantes. La Autoridad de Vivienda de Caldwell ofrece a los posibles solicitantes muchos métodos diferentes para comenzar el proceso de solicitud.

  1. Solicitud Previa en Línea. En los últimos años, la autoridad de vivienda ha intentado racionalizar el proceso de solicitud en un esfuerzo por conseguir que los posibles inquilinos ingresen a un apartamento lo antes posible. Creemos que podemos comenzar el proceso de calificación de personas para la ocupación en base a una “Solicitud previa” abreviada que recopila información básica. La forma MÁS FÁCIL de completar la solicitud previa es completando la solicitud en línea en este sitio. El procesamiento previo a la solicitud se realizará simultáneamente con la verificación de antecedentes y solo después de que el solicitante haya pagado la tarifa de evaluación inicial de $ 15.00.
  2. Imprima un Formulario de Solicitud Previa. Los posibles inquilinos pueden descargar e imprimir una solicitud previa desde la misma ubicación en el sitio web; complete los campos requeridos a mano; y entréguelo a la autoridad de vivienda a mano, por correo o por fax (fax) al (208) 455-2816. Nuevamente, el procesamiento previo a la solicitud se realizará simultáneamente con la verificación de antecedentes y solo después de que el solicitante haya pagado la tarifa de evaluación inicial de $ 15.00.
  3. Solicitud Sin Cita Previa. Los posibles inquilinos pueden entrar a la oficina y solicitar una solicitud oficial completa. Hay una tarifa de solicitud completa de $ 30.00 para todos los posibles inquilinos mayores de 18 años que deseen completar el proceso de solicitud completo de una sola vez.
  4. Solicitud de Correo. Los posibles inquilinos pueden solicitar una solicitud por teléfono. CHA enviará una solicitud previa a la ubicación de su elección. Una vez completado, los posibles solicitantes pueden enviarlo por correo o entregarlo personalmente a la oficina de la Autoridad de Vivienda de Caldwell en 22730 Farmway Road, Caldwell, Idaho 83607; o envíelo por fax (fax) al (208) 455-2816.
  5. Aplicaciones Completas. Una vez que el personal de la CHA haya recibido el formulario de Solicitud previa y se haya completado la evaluación inicial, se notificará al posible inquilino por correo o teléfono sobre la aprobación previa y se le proporcionarán instrucciones adicionales para completar la Solicitud completa.

B: Solicitud Completa Completada. La Autoridad de Vivienda de Caldwell solo acepta y procesa las Solicitudes COMPLETAS.

C: Notificación del Solicitante.

  1. Plazos simplificados para la respuesta / seguimiento prospectivo del inquilino.

Se alienta a los posibles inquilinos a responder oportunamente al personal de la autoridad de vivienda durante el proceso de solicitud. Es nuestro deseo ayudar a los posibles inquilinos a través del proceso y llevarlos a una vivienda lo antes posible. La autoridad de vivienda de Caldwell, con la cooperación del solicitante (s), se adhiere a los siguientes plazos:

  • Procese la Solicitud Previa y la tarifa de $ 15.00 dentro de los tres (3) días hábiles posteriores a la recepción de la Solicitud previa.
  • Procese la Solicitud Completa y la tarifa de $ 15.00 con tres (3) días hábiles de haber recibido la Solicitud completa y la verificación de ingresos requerida.
  • Los solicitantes en la lista de espera que reciben una notificación de una unidad disponible tienen cinco (5) días hábiles para pagar el depósito de seguridad y el primer mes de alquiler, a menos que la autoridad de vivienda apruebe lo contrario.

Los solicitantes en la lista de espera que no cumplan los requisitos anteriores pueden ser eliminados o pasados ​​por alto en la lista de espera.


  1. Información General. Farmway Village es propiedad y está operado por la Autoridad de Vivienda de Caldwell y todos los criterios de elegibilidad y selección son establecidos por la autoridad de vivienda previa aprobación de su Junta Directiva.
  2. Solicitantes Elegibles. Como se menciona en otra parte de este sitio web, la autoridad de vivienda proporciona viviendas para la fuerza laboral, viviendas para personas de bajos ingresos y viviendas para trabajadores agrícolas. Lea la sección de Elegibilidad para obtener información adicional.
  3. Historial de Alquiler Satisfactorio. La Autoridad de Vivienda de Caldwell está obligada a proporcionar viviendas decentes, seguras y sanitarias. El personal de la autoridad de vivienda trabaja duro para ese fin. Creemos que la mejor manera de cumplir con estos estándares es evaluar a los solicitantes y verificar las referencias de alquileres anteriores.
  4. Recursos Financieros. Aunque el alquiler se ajusta de acuerdo con el ingreso y la disponibilidad de la unidad, los solicitantes deben tener un ingreso mínimo mensual de $770.00, o $ 9,200 anuales para el apartamento más pequeño. Los requisitos mínimos de ingresos mensuales varían según el tamaño del apartamento. A los solicitantes sin ingresos o que no puedan certificar que reciben el ingreso mínimo mensual se les retirará administrativamente su solicitud.
  5. Historial de Alquiler Previo con CHA. A menudo, las personas y las familias vuelven a solicitar vivir en Farmway Village después de mudarse. Los solicitantes que fueron inquilinos anteriores de la autoridad de vivienda deberán completar una solicitud completa. La autoridad de vivienda puede usar su conocimiento de arrendamiento previo para aprobar o rechazar una solicitud. Los solicitantes que vivieron en Farmway Village anteriormente y que deben el alquiler, los costos de reparación o los honorarios legales deben pagar esos cargos anteriores antes de que el personal considere o revise la solicitud.


  1. Prioridad de la Lista de Espera. Los apartamentos en Farmway Village se asignan a individuos y hogares según la disponibilidad y la posición del solicitante en la lista de espera. Solo los solicitantes con la solicitud completa y aprobada serán colocados en la lista de espera.
  2. Asignación de Vivienda. De acuerdo con la Sección IIC (3) anterior, un solicitante que no acepte el apartamento pagando el alquiler del primer mes y el depósito de seguridad y firme el contrato de arrendamiento dentro de los cinco (5) días de la oferta pierde su apartamento a la siguiente persona en la lista de espera y su aplicación será retirada administrativamente del proceso.


  1. Convicciones Penales. Como se indicó anteriormente, la autoridad de vivienda debe proporcionar viviendas decentes, seguras y sanitarias. Los antecedentes penales se llevan a cabo en todos los solicitantes durante el proceso de solicitud previa. Los solicitantes o co-solicitantes con antecedentes penales son descalificados de la vivienda de la siguiente manera:
  • Desalojos Ordenados por el Tribunal: dentro de los tres (3) años a partir de la fecha de la solicitud. Los desalojos ordenados por el tribunal incluyen los desalojos “por causa” y “detención ilegal”. Esta condición descalificante puede ser apelada ante la negación.
  • Convicción Controlada de Sustancias: dentro de los tres (3) años a partir de la fecha de solicitud. Los cargos por sustancias controladas incluyen el uso, venta, posesión, ocultamiento, distribución o fabricación de una sustancia controlada según lo define la ley de Idaho. Esta condición descalificante puede ser apelada ante la negación.
  • Convicción de Delitos Menores por “Delito de Personas”: dentro de los tres (3) años a partir de la fecha de solicitud. Los “delitos de personas” incluyen, entre otros, violencia doméstica o agresión. Esta condición descalificante puede ser apelada ante la negación.
  • Convicción de Delitos Menores por “Delito de Propiedad”: dentro de los dos (2) años a partir de la fecha de solicitud. Los “delitos contra la propiedad” incluyen, entre otros, el robo o el robo. Esta condición descalificante puede ser apelada ante la negación.
  • Convicción por Delitos Graves Contra la Propiedad: dentro de los siete (7) años a partir de la fecha de solicitud.
  • Delitos Graves: dentro de los diez (10) años a partir de la fecha de solicitud. Esto incluye cualquier condena por delito mayor por dañar o maltratar a otra persona.
  • Convicción de Drogas por Delitos Graves: dentro de los siete (7) años a partir de la fecha de solicitud.
  • Delincuentes Sexuales: descalificación de por vida.
  1. Descalificación Administrativa. Además de las descalificaciones o razones penales mencionadas anteriormente, la autoridad de vivienda descalifica a los solicitantes y co-solicitantes que:
    • Proporcionar identificación engañosa o falsificada,
    • Proporcionar documentación de ingresos del hogar engañosa o incompleta,
    • Proporcionar información engañosa sobre co-solicitantes y ocupantes de unidades,
    • Tener historiales de alquiler deficientes, incluidos, entre otros, daños a la propiedad o conflictos con los vecinos.
  2. Apelaciones de Denegación. Los solicitantes a quienes se les niegue la ocupación recibirán una carta de denegación por escrito, ya sea personalmente o por correo certificado (siempre que el solicitante tenga una dirección actual) que proporcionará el motivo de la denegación. El solicitante denegado puede presentar una queja por la denegación presentando una apelación por escrito dentro de los 10 días posteriores a la denegación y proporcionar evidencia convincente de por qué la denegación debe ser revocada. Adjunto a la apelación escrita, el solicitante debe incluir todo lo siguiente (cuando corresponda):
  • Cartas de juicio de satisfacción,
  • Cartas de cumplimiento de libertad condicional y libertad provisional,
  • Un informe de crédito actual que muestre que los registros de CHA son inadecuados,
  • Documentación de inscripción o participación en el tratamiento de abuso de sustancias. El solicitante puede tener derecho a la exención bajo el requisito de Equidad de Vivienda,
  • Se han satisfecho las cartas del arrendador anterior que indican el alquiler vencido y los costos de reparación; y
  • Otra documentación escrita y relevante.