Eligibility / ELEGIBILIDAD

Are you eligible to rent an apartment from the Caldwell Housing Authority?

The Caldwell Housing Authority provides rental housing to eligible farm labor families with limited income. However, the Caldwell Housing Authority has been given a waiver to lease to non-farm families and individuals providing priority preference is given to farm-labor individuals and families.

  1. General Information. Farmway Village, owned and operated by the Caldwell Housing Authority, is a Section 514 Off-Farm Labor Housing Project initially funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Development.  That means the housing is specifically intended for domestic farm laborers and persons legally admitted into the United State to work in Agriculture.  However, both farm laborers and non-farm laborers are encouraged to apply for housing.  Non-farm labor applicants may be housed when there are no eligible farm laborers on the waiting list.   
  2. Eligible Farm Labor Applicants. According to regulations (cited below), a farm laborer is someone who receives a substantial portion of their income from primary production of agricultural or aquacultural commodities or the handling of agricultural or aquacultural commodities in the unprocessed stage, or the processing of agricultural or aquacultural commodities , without respect to the place of employment.  As an example, a truck driver transporting potatoes from the field to the processing plant would be considered a farm laborer.  A person driving French fries from the processing plant to fast-food restaurants would not be considered a farm laborer.  Farm labor jobs includes, but are not limited to:
  • Field workers
  • Orchard workers
  • Dairy farm workers
  • Vineyard workers
  • Fish hatchery workers
  • Commodity handlers
  • Commodity sorters
  • Commodity processing plant workers
  • Commodity delivery drivers
  1. Waiting List Priority. Apartments at Farmway Village are assigned to individuals and households based on a priority preference established by applicable regulations (cited below).  Generally speaking, domestic farm laborers have 1st Priority, persons legally admitted into the United States to work in Agriculture have 2nd Priority, retired or disabled farm laborers have 3rd Priority, and all other non-farm labors have 4th Priority.  More specifically, the housing priority is as follows:
  • 1stDomestic Farm Labors—Very Low Income
  • 2nd Domestic Farm Labor—Low Income
  • 3rd Domestic Farm Labor—Moderate Income
  • 4th Persons legally admitted into the United States to work in agriculture (H2A)
  • 5th Local Domestic Retired or Disabled Domestic Farm Laborers—Very Low Income
  • 6th Local Domestic Retired or Disabled Domestic Farm Laborers—Low Income
  • 7th Local Domestic Retired or Disabled Domestic Farm Laborers—Moderate Income
  • 8th Non-Local Domestic Retired or Disabled Domestic Farm Laborers—Very Low Income
  • 9th Non-Local Domestic Retired or Disabled Domestic Farm Laborers – Low Income
  • 10th Non-Local Domestic Retired or Disabled Domestic Farm Laborers – Moderate Income
  • 11th Non-Farm Labor—Very Low Income
  • 12th Non-Farm Labor—Low Income
  • 13th Non-Farm Labor—Moderate Income Households
  • 14th – Over Income Applicants – Farm Labor Households
  • 15th Over Income Applicants – Non-Farm Labor Households

* According the HUD’s Annual Income and Rent Guidelines

Priorities #1 through #10 above meet the strict definition of an eligible tenants under the regulations. Priorities #11 through #15 are allowed to live at Farmway Village only when other eligible applicants are not available.  Applicants with a higher priority will go to the top of the waiting list.  Higher priority applicants will always be offered housing when available ahead of lower priority applicants.  Lower priority applicants cannot be bumped down the waiting list for a higher priority applicant once the apartment has been offered to the lower priority applicant.  IMPORTANT: If housed, non-farm laborers will be given a month-to-month lease agreement and may be asked to vacate the apartment for an eligible farm laborer in accordance with the regulations.   

  1. Proof of Farm Labor Employment. During the application process, all applicants are required to provide proof of household income and place of employment.  Applicants will be asked to provide payroll stubs or tax returns of all employed members of the household as verification.  Additional employment verifications and certifications may be required.
  2. Satisfactory Rental History. The Caldwell Housing Authority is required to provide decent, safe and sanitary housing.  Housing authority staff works hard to that end.  We believe the best way to meet these standards it to screen applicants and check past rental references.  All applicant must:
  • Provide two (2) rental references from the most recent places of occupancy
  • Have left the two (2) previous places of residency in good standing
  • Give the housing authority written permission to contact previous landlords
  1. Applicants who cannot provide the required rental references will have their application administratively withdrawn. If the applicant is a first-time renter he/she may request a special consideration.   
  2. Financial Resources. Although rent is adjusted according to income, applicants must have a monthly minimum income of $400.00.  Applicants without an income or who cannot certify that they receive $400.00 in monthly income will have their application administratively withdrawn. 
  3. Prior Rental History with CHA. Often individuals and families re-apply to live at Farmway Village after moving out.  Applicants who were previous tenants of the housing authority will be required to complete a full application.  The housing authority may use its knowledge of previous tenancy to either approve or deny an application.  Applicant who lived at Farmway Village previously and owe for rent, repair costs, or legal fees must pay those previous charges before staff will consider or review the application. 


  • 7 CFR 3560. 11
  • 7 CFR 3560. 152
  • 7 CFR 3560. 158
  • 7 CFR 3560. 159
  • 7 CFR 3560. 576
  • 7 CFR 3560. 577
  • 2018 Omnibus Budget Act
  • July 5, 2019 USDA Un-numbered Letter